Home  About Us  Press Releases   Pomona house fire injures 3, kills several cats

IVHS Calendar

IVHS

  • Adopt Today
  • Make a Donation

  • California Spay

  • IVHS Partners

Pomona house fire injures 3, kills several cats

POMONA >> A candle started a fire in a single-family house that sent three people to a hospital and resulted in the death of an unspecified number of cats Sunday morning, the Los Angeles County Fire Department reported.

A 55-year-old woman and an 18-year-old woman were taken to a local hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation along with an 18-year-old man who injured his right ankle while getting out of the house, said Ed Pickett, supervising LAFD dispatcher.

The fire in the 1500 block of West Grand Avenue was reported about 6:45 a.m., Pickett said.

When firefighters arrived, they found smoke and flames coming out all four sides of the house, he said

Fire investigators were called to the scene and determined an unattended candled caused the fire, Pickett said.

Although the house was not completely destroyed the fire caused significant damage, he said. The damage is estimated at $200,000 to the structure and $20,000 to the contents.

Several cats died as a result of the fire prompting fire personnel to seek assistance from the Inland Valley Humane Society, Pickett said.